Friday 22 January 2016

A Song A Day: "Sound of Silence"

This whole blogging thing was going so well, until I came down with a cold. Cue feeling like death warmed up for a few days, but I'm finally back to working order. On with the show!

This song is a double header, hence there being no band in the title. The song means so much to so many people, myself included. The original, by Simon and Garfunkel, is probably one of the defining songs of the 20th century. True story: Despite my parents being massive fans, I didn't like Simon and Garfunkel until I was 16, when my friends starting listening to them all the time. I actively eschewed their genius until that point. I guess I just wasn't ready.

Fast forward to late 2015 and a new version of the song is circulating on the internet. Disturbed, a band that I am a pretty big fan of, returned from their hiatus with a new album Immortalized (their 5th Billboard 200 No. 1 no less), which includes as ever, their take on a classic song. And boy what a cover this is! David Draiman showcases just how powerful his voice is in their version, swapping out his trademark style for a more classical clean sound.

The song is stripped back, perhaps in homage to the song's origins as a folk song featuring only a guitar and the vocals of Simon and Garfunkel. This makes for a spine tingling, emotion filled rendition that adds new dimensions. I particularly like the piano bass parts - the simplicity of the music is allowed to shine. The percussion utilises more melodic instruments that allows an echo of the melody and accompaniment. While it doesn't have the exquisite harmonies of Simon and Garfunkel, the arrangement creates a similar feel.

So enjoy both versions - it is worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments, please leave them below!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...